Wednesday 6 June 2018

Distraction

It's summer – and there are plenty of distractions from writing. I mean the definitions of 'something that distracts; an interuption' and a relaxation from work, amusement. Those are good forms of distraction and for me involve being out in the garden, or away in the camper van.
 Being distracted is often associated with a loss of concentration on the job in hand. Another, far less pleasant, meaning of distraction is confusion, perplexity – even a frenzy of madness. For example, trying to promote my latest book of short stories drives me to distraction






If I was suffering in either of those ways, I'd definitely be needing the help of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, who'd no doubt reassure me that I'm not alone in often being distracted and probably offer advice on overcoming the issue. They're good like that!
For a writer, being considered distracting is an excellent thing. We want to make the reader forget the reality around them and immerse themselves in the worlds our words create. I've had readers tell me they've been so distracted by my novels that they've missed their stop on a train, let the dinner burn or continued reading long after they'd planned to stop.

I'm sorry about the spoiled food and hope they weren't late for anything fun, but otherwise very pleased by such comments.

If you've written a really distracting unpublished novel, and live in the UK then you might like to enter it in this competition and be in with the chance of winning £30,000. Gosh, just planning what to spend that cash on could keep me distracted for hours!


26 comments:

Carolb said...

Your photos are always distracting Patsy.

Especially like that last one, the interior with the stairs going up to the doorway.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd take those comments as well.
I didn't know you had a new book out! Congratulations.

Cherie Reich said...

Congrats on the new release! I hope your stories continue to distract more readers. :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I was distracted by your nice shots. But I'm mostly defined by the head cold I'm dealing with. Argh.

Chrys Fey said...

The summer is full of distractions. Usually welcome ones, though. :)

Mark said...

Great pics! Distraction is my middle name;)

Crystal Collier said...

I'm wishing you sanity through the promotion process. It's such a head trip and there are so many different avenues to pursue.

Juneta key said...

Love the pictures. Great compliments to you too. Very clever use of distraction. Wishing you much success.

Rosemary Johnson said...

Your novels are very distracting, Patsy.
What about this unpublished novel writing comp? I didn't find the link.

Patsy said...

Glad you like that one, Carol – I had to wait ages to get the shot without tourists in the way.

Patsy said...

Thanks, Alex.

I'm putting a lot of my short stories into collections.

Patsy said...

Thank you, Cherie.

Patsy said...

Hope it clears up soon, Mac.

Patsy said...

Yes to both points, Fey.

Patsy said...

Should be mine too!

Patsy said...

Thanks, Crystal. I'm taking a very low key approach, as I have quite a few collections coming out over the next few months and don't want to drive all my friends to distraction!

Patsy said...

Thank you so much, Juneta.

Patsy said...

Oh, do't know what happened there – it was working. I'll put it in again.

jen said...

Love your photos :) Best of luck with your new release... I must buy it.

Patsy said...

Thank you! (Yes you must – he he!)

Nas said...

I love all the photos! All the best with the new book!

Patsy said...

Thanks, Nas!

Misha Gerrick said...

I know the feeling. Been super distracted for almost a year now. Recently I got a chance to settle down and... you know... not be distracted, but all that did was bring to my attention how distracted I am. :-/

Patsy said...

That's the trouble with us writers – we think too much!

Susan A Eames said...

A timely reminder not to get too distracted with unimportant things! Great post, Patsy!

Susan A Eames at
Travel, Fiction and Photos

Patsy said...

Indeed – but having fun is important, so we should definitely make time for that.