Wednesday 12 June 2019

Verdigris

Verdigris (pronounced verdegree) is best known as the effect on metals such as brass and copper when they're exposed to weather or seawater. In a short space of time they go from bright and shiny to a dull blueish-green. It's commonly scene on roofs, pipework and weather vanes.

The verdigris can be polished off, but will soon form again.

Historically verdigris was used as a pigment for artists, producing the most vibrant shade of green available in the middle ages.

Did you know that verdigris can also be used to describe sailors? I guess it could be quite apt if they're under the weather.

I'll be green with envy if you win this free to enter competition from Amazon. There's a £20,000 prize. All you have to do is write something great, polish it up, publish on Amazon.co.uk, enroll it in kdp select, sell lots of copies and get lots of good reviews and you'll be in with a chance!

7 comments:

Jagger said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill. Please keep on working hard. Thanks for sharing.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patsy - I didn't know verdigris referred to sailors ... interesting tidbit ... but the colour is always delightful to see. Lovely photo - cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it turns them a cool shade of blue-green.

Keith Havers said...

I used to play bugle in the Boys Brigade and my right palm would be green from holding the copper instrument in my sweaty hand during a parade.

Chrys Fey said...

Verdigris is a neat term to add to my vocabulary. I can imagine using it in a description. :)

Trayvonn said...

thanks for this word.. i just know it now :)
Shocked at Pasadena Cloud Services

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I've always liked that word - and the shade of green it produces! Never knew the bit about sailors.