Wednesday 23 October 2019

Threshold

A threshold is a point of entry, either real or metaphorical. Traditionally new brides were carried over the threshold of their marital home. A scientist could be on the threshold of an amazing discovery. Threshold can also mean a limit. It's said women have a higher pain threshold than men.

Originally a threshold was a raised strip of wood or stone. It was placed at the entrance to rooms such as kitchens and pantries where rushes, often scented with herbs, were strewn on the floor – as a kind of temporary carpet. Once dirty or wet, they could easily be swept up and replaced.  The rushes were known as thresh and without the threshold to hold them in place, would have been spread throughout the house.

If you're on the threshold of completing something which involves new media, get it finished and enter it into this free competition to be in with a chance of winning one of 5 prizes ranging from £500 to £750.

6 comments:

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Yes I’m on the threshold, Patsy, so very apt for me, but no guarantee that I shall cross the threshold 🤗

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now I know where the word came from.

Carolb said...

Makes sense when you think about it, it holds the threshing in.

Frank Carver said...

Nice. I had never thought about where this term came from. Makes a lot of sense. Do I get bonus points for recognising Plas Mawr in Conwy? Visited there a few months ago.

Liz Young said...

Yet another bit of knowledge to add to my crowded store room!

Patsy said...

@ Lost – Just another few steps?

@ Alex – I only found out recently myself.

@ Carol – when I learned the meaning it was one of those 'of course' moments.

@ Frank – triple points at least!

@ Liz – keep putting stuff in and the dust will never settle.